Tuesday 16 April 2013

Work Visa: Approved


Yes, we got our work visas! 

After slightly more than a week of waiting (actually Mr Fatty exaggerated in the previous post; because we were too anxious, that's why one week felt like months), Mr Fatty couldn't wait anymore and called up INZ (Singapore) to check on our application status and was told that our passports were ready for collection. So he hurried down the next day and collected our passports and inside them the most beautiful (and possibly the most expensive) blue stickers glittered back at us. We finally understood what the "blue stickers" we read on forums were about. And now we have ours! 

However, there was a slight issue which we overlooked and resulted in the both of us having different visa validity. Mr Fatty got a 4-year visa while I got a 1-year visa. My passport expiry date was the reason. INZ cannot issue a visa past my passport's expiry date and since it was going to expire end of 2014, hence I didn't get the 4 years! We wrote back to INZ and the only way is either I renew my passport now, pay and apply the visa again OR when the time comes, I can renew my passport in NZ and then renew the visa. Haiz..... wasted........  But I guess we will go for the latter. 

Our advice to you if you are applying for NZ visa, ensure that ur expiry date is beyond the expected duration of the visa ! Even if you still have more than a year till it expires, renew it! Then apply for your visa!  


Till we find our accomodation in Wellington,

Ms Shortie

Pro Tip (aka learn from our mistakes):

  • Ensure that your passport expiry is later then your expected Visa duration
  • In singapore, you can always renew your passport ANYTIME regardless of how far away till your passport expiry date. Note that maximum validity is capped at 5 years 9 months.
  • You will want to secure a minimum of at least 2 years Work Visa since that entitles you to free public healthcare in NZ.

10 comments:

  1. Hi again

    Could you share your experience for the immigration process.The documentations and forms filing. Are they as strict as we have heard and read. No mistakes allowed no cancellations on the form. And reading from your blog it seems that it took about one week only for INZ to approve the Visa? Application has to go through VFS global now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about how particular they are about cancellations on the form. But in my humble opinion, migration is a long and expensive process. So why not spend the extra few minutes to rewrite the form without cancellations?

      -Mr fatty

      Delete
  2. Ok re read it slightly more than one week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, did you guys applied for Work to Residence or Work Visa? Its just so confusing with so many different kinds of work visa @-@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We applied for a Work Visa (INZ 1015) because Mr Fatty had a job offer. Soon after arriving we applied for Skilled Migrant Category (INZ 1100) which will lead to 3 possibilities:

      1) Outright rejection
      2) Case officer not too certain about your ability to settle, thus offering you a work to residence visa.
      3a) Case officer offers you a residence visa WITH condition
      3b) Case officier offers you a unconditional residence visa

      Refer to http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j476/Bostonix/NZ/SMCFlo1_zps72855639.jpg for more information .
      Hope that helps

      Delete
  4. Hi Mr Fatty and Ms Shortie,

    Enjoyed reading your blogs. I'm now at the stage of applying for work visa! Just got a job offer and employer wants me to start ASAP! Can I check where did you get your medicals done? I called up Point Medical and they said 2 to 3 weeks? Do you know of any medical clinics that can do it in a week? or preferably located in the east of SG? How much did you pay for the medicals? Any advice on the MC stage.

    Also, can I check if we use the work visa application form (INZ 1015) to apply under Essential Skills Visa?

    Thanks for your help. Things are getting exciting for me! I will surely come back for me as I travel the same road that you have travelled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Congrats on your job offer! I think medical was about $200 but not so sure about which clinics can do in a week.. Hope you had managed to settle it and your forms by now. :)

      Delete
  5. Am sure this is a late reply but for those who are coming in to read, we got our medical within a week from Raffles Hospital and it was about $200+ that was in Feb '04

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi both, thank you for sharing...
    Hmm... Do you need to take ielts test?

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI! I read your blog and it's really interesting. my siblings and I are planning to move there too! But is it possible for you to leave down your email address as I have tons of questions to ask you!Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete